Friday 17 April 2015

Critical Reflection

ES1102 expose me to the opportunity of giving and receiving feedback from my peers. Initially, I was not very comfortable in giving feedback as I was not confident in my English ability. Whenever I thought there might be a grammar mistake or an unclear phrasing, I would do a lot of double checkings before I gave feedback as I was unsure if I could provide the correct feedback. I was a very slow process in the beginning. But this also greatly improve my editing skills. I soon became comfortable in raising up my own opinion and provide my peers with suggestions.

I was very weak at writing essays. I often spend the entire day planning what to include and what would my arguments be. In the past, whenever I finished my essay I was unable to identify errors on my own as I had spent too much time on it. At ES1102, I am able to obtain feedback from my peers and tutor. They will share with me their feelings towards my essay and give suggestions. I am able to make improvements based on the feedback that they have given. After learning the skills of giving critical feedback, I can now easily review my own writing and make changes.

I will definitely apply the skills learned in the course to writing assignments in other modules. I had already applied the critical writing skills in my other module report. I found that I was able to organise my thoughts faster and in a clearer way. That greatly smooth out my report writing process. In the future, I will continue to improve my English skills and apply what I learned to practice.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this concise, well focused reflection, Lanxin. I appreciate the way you have chosen to discuss feedback in the context of your own evolving writing. It's good too that you have highlighted how initially commenting was hard for you since you had insecurity in being able to identify errors, but that eventually you gained confidence, and this has helped you improve. I'm also glad to know that you feel your evaluative skills can be transferred to assignments in the future.

    In any case, I really appreciate all the effort you have made this term. It's been a pleasure working with you. All the best as you continue your learning journey!

    ReplyDelete